Friday, July 25, 2008

Be Late.

I am always late. ALWAYS. This used to bother me-- and occasionally it still does--however, I think I am resigning myself to the fact that I will never, ever be anywhere on time.

I vaguely remember showing up to places on time in my youth. The marching band I was in during high school required that I be present early, not on time. “Early is on time; on time is late” was the phrase I think the director intoned. He hardly ever screamed in my direction over lateness (though he did for lots of other things), so it stands to reason that I got there within the window of acceptability.

Since that time, however, I have lost my drive for perfection in the “on time” realm. I think the change happened with the birth of my children. No matter how hard I tried, I could never be anywhere close to on time with my kids. Let’s say we had a 10 am pediatrician appointment. I would start our morning ritual at 6 am, giving us lots of flex time, only to have some vomiting/poop/pee pee/Mommy-I-can’t-find-my…./some sort of discomfort emergency halt my forward progress at the worst possible moment, which would inevitably result in our showing up sweating and panting for breath twenty minutes late.

I’ve learned that showing up late has lots of advantages. I rarely end up waiting in line anymore. Sometimes I even get discounts for purchasing things at the last moment, like airline tickets and hotel rooms. Last week, a theatre manager even gave me a pro-bono movie viewing because the movie had already started. Better yet, I virtually miss all of the pre-game T-ball drama for my son’s team! Showing up late to social events has been a dream; I don’t have to deal with awkward small-talk nearly as often, and don’t get asked to help set things up or volunteer for the next event anymore. Moreover, I get to make an entrance and show off my fabulous shoe wear, which otherwise might have gone unnoticed had I arrived as part of the gaggle of on-timers.

You may like to try lateness for yourself. If you are new to lateness, you may find yourself anxious at first. This is normal, especially if you come from an anal-retentive family or rub elbows with type-A personalities. You just have to muscle your way past the anxiety. It may help if you get yourself ready on time and then lounge in a chair. Maybe read for twenty minutes. Listen to some music. If you can avoid watching the clock, do. If not, resolve yourself to watching the clock while doing something pleasant, like talking on the phone to a good friend or surfing the net for shoe wear. (http://www.zappos.com/. You won’t regret it.) Maybe make yourself something to eat, rather than rushing through the drive-thru at a fast food restaurant. Perhaps meditate. The important thing is to ease oneself into lateness. If you go too quickly, you’ll end up driving erratically and showing up frazzled and panting for breath at your destination (as I used to at pediatrician appointments). Best to go slow and pace yourself. Don’t even try to get to your destination on time. Drive slow. Look at the scenery. Surf the radio for good music.

Soon enough, people will adjust to your new schedule and make allowances for you. They will start telling you that events start a half hour before they actually begin in an effort to get you there on time and rope you into helping set up or pressure you into hosting the next event. (This is why people are asked to show up earlier and earlier for airline flights. I am constantly amazed that people actually DO show up two hours before the flight is scheduled to depart. First, flights rarely, if ever, depart on time. Second, people who show up early must have nothing good to do. I’d rather float around the hotel pool for an extra half hour than spend it waiting for my delayed flight in a hard plastic chair next to the departure gate.) When this occurs, you will have to step up your lateness regime. Move your lateness schedule forward another twenty minutes. You can’t let those on-timers manipulate you like that. Why, there have even been times when I’ve been forced to move up my lateness schedule a whole hour. I get a good nap on those days.

You may feel compelled to explain your lateness when arriving at your destination. Don’t. Just wave it off. That’s just guilt trying to rope you back into being on-time. If you listen to that guilt, you’ll just end up waiting in lines all over again. If you must say something, a simple, “I got caught up in something and was running late,” will suffice. You don’t have to explain that you got caught up shoe shopping or floating around the pool. If you do that, everyone will want to show up late and then you’ll have to push back your lateness schedule even further to avoid the on-time drudgery.

Try lateness for your next appointment. You won’t be disappointed.








(for Lauren)

10 comments:

katina said...

haha, my husband and I were both in marching band, and since we don't have kids, we still have that "must be on time" thing ingrained in us. So of course when our friends have parties, they have to tell us it starts an hour LATER than it really does so we'll show up on time.

Trish said...

Katina,

Hmmm...apparently that "on time" mantra was spoken by band directors all over the United States. Interesting. This probably has less to due with the meticulous organization of a musician's brain than the fact that getting 150 kids to do anything at the same time is very, very difficult. Kind of like herding cats.

Isn't your husband a band director? My prayers are with him. In my four years of marching band, I witnessed a bass drummer trip, roll over his drum, and lay there twitching, caught in his harness; multiple flutes crushed into modern art when the whole line turned left and one poor soul turned right; and heard the horrible result after one kid accepted a bet to swallow a cockroach while on an over-night trip (thankfully, I did not witness the actual bet). As a teacher who often finds coats abandoned in the hall after school (Don't the kids notice they are COLD when they walk home in the snow??), I feel for band directors who have to take large numbers of teens on overnight trips. It's a wonder the instruments and uniforms make it back at all.

Of course, the sure fire cure for your uber-earliness is to have children. That will nip your early habit right in the bud.

Oh, and my local theatre is advertising a live feed from DCI. It can't be only Chiago-area theatres that do this. You and your husband might enjoy watching the competition on the big screen. You'll have to show up 2 hours early, though, because all the other former band members will be there an hour early! You want to be sure you'll get a good seat!

Unknown said...

I just returned from "Drums on the Chippewa" contest here in EC. Meh. Did, however, receive a notice of same theater showing of DCI...I doubt that'll be here, but I'll look anyway...I may have to view it.

Trish, do you remember that one overnighter when, right before we departed LP, some crazy blond in a red convertible Vette came screaming up the wrong way in front of the school, halted in front of the 1st bus, and then searched each bus until she located her child in order to hand off a pair of wayward band shoes? I don't remember that at all...

Trish said...

OMG. Were YOU the wayward child?? I didn't know who owned that mom. Was that KujMom?

Cheryl Houston said...

uh-oh. I don't know if we can be blogger friends anymore. I'm a stickler for punctiality. The message you are sending out when you are habitally late is that you are superior to other people. Your time is more valuable. And, that the other person is not important.

Find the inner band member in yourself and get it together, Trish! This baby phase will pass and you too can be back on time. :)

katina said...

Alas, no, my husband is not a band director.

But I do know what happens to a mellophone when it gets smashed by a tuba. That was an interesting piece of modern art...

Also, I remember the drummers having it ingrained in their brains "if you trip, you will do all that you can to save the drum. Your life is secondary to the drum. Save the drum."

my freshman year, boys and girls all changed on the bus together at the same time. by my sophomore year, one of the moms had complained about it, and so we had to change the way we did things so there was no co-ed-ness during the changing. Thankfully it wasn't my mom, but I still feel embarrassed for the kid who did have that mom.

Unknown said...

Quote heard round the band room..."It's not like I haven't seen one before. I have a son, you know."
- Mrs. Goldstein, band mom, after barging into the boy's sleeping quarters post-contest.

So this makes me wonder...husband? Not so much with the seeing?
***
We frequently "changed" in the same room regardless of gender, but then we all had to wear a t-shirt and shorts under our uniform. What was frowned upon, however, was the "corruption" of underclassmen, as brilliantly illustrated by Murph and I (and subsequently chewed out up close and loud by the band director)on the way to Akron. I wonder how Mike Kramer is doing these days, and if we gave him PTSD. Do you think Ken went back up to Bus #1 and had a good laugh with the rest of the staff?

Trish, sorry about the swerving away from your post. You just can't get me to not talk about band. I'm a dork. And always late. Because I'm an attention whore and socially awkward.

Trish said...

A socially awkward attention whore? Isn't that an oxymoron??

Cheryl Houston said...

ROFLMAO!!! Thank you Trish! I think that is an oxymoron!

Anonymous said...

I do not like this being directed at me. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH BEING ON TIME! However, showing up TWO hours after the 11-ish time appointed to you is unacceptable. See, I gave you guys wiggle room, a loosy goosy time to get there and you take advantage by being TWO hours late....

I love you trish.