Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Outsourcing: It's Not Just For Call Centers Anymore...*

Okay, okay! Apparently I AM the only one who has ever had an embarrassing teenage moment. Nice. And I, alone in my humiliation, just shared the story with the world, ripping off the scab that had formed over the years and exposing my shame afresh. That’s not awkward…much. (Though I KNOW there is at least ONE person out there who has suffered a crippling purple nurple at the hands of her high school boyfriend, but I won’t reveal her name…KUJ.)

It’s also for husbands!**

Me: Honey, did you mow the lawn like you said you would?

Scott: I was going to, but I couldn’t get the kids to go down for their naps while you were at class.

Me: A-huh. I see. (sigh.) Unfortunately, it is my responsibility to inform you that you are being outsourced.

Scott: What?

Me: I’m sorry, but we are going to have to replace you. Look at it this way: You are overqualified for the job. We can’t afford your hourly wage. In short, I’m afraid we are going to have to go with someone else.

Scott: I don’t understand….

Me: Thank you for your interest in our lawn, but we are going to have to go a different way on this. I have a bottom line to look at here and, frankly, you just aren’t meeting your performance goals. Perhaps you’ll find some luck in the hedge trimming field? In any case, you are being outsourced for the duration of the season.

Scott: Huh. Hmmm. You are either being really, really good to me or incredibly mean. Which is it?

Me: (kiss) Happy anniversary, darling!

Scott: (nuzzle) Mmmmm-mmmmm.... I pick really, really nice…. (snuggle, snuggle)

Me: (giggle) Oooo-oooooh.... Thank you....

Scott: I know what we can do with the time I save NOT mowing the lawn.... (nuzzle, nuzzle)

Me: So do I! Those gutters aren’t going to clean themselves, and the garage needs to be cleaned. Chop chop!

Scott: (grumbling and walking away) I knew there was a catch….

Me: Love you, honey!


I have found more and more often that, though my significant other is well intentioned, he is too preoccupied to get most of his “I’m-going-to-get-to-that-this-weekend” list done. It’s not that he MEANS to make empty promises; he’s just busy with other things. Enter: Outsourcing.

Thank you, Tomasillo’s Lawn Care. The last guy just wasn’t working out.


*My mother works at a call center. If you are facing call center pressures, my heart goes out to you.

**And, honey, if you are thinking of outsourcing any of MY duties, go right ahead! Anything OUTSIDE THE BEDROOM is up for grabs. I am particularly adverse to laundry, so if there is a service that does that, GO FOR IT!!

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Now you WERE the only one who knew about the nurple. In my driveway. DIRECTLY under my parent's window. Thank goodness he dumped shortly thereafter. The Nurple Nazi.

Unknown said...

I will trade you the eggs story for the blazer incident. I can't remember enough about the huevos. Though, darned if I didn't bust out laughing re: the denim duster.

Trish said...

Kuj,

If he ever runs for public office, I am SO pulling out that Nurple story....

Nurple Nazi (interviewed on camera): Yes, I DID touch the nurple, but I DID NOT twist. There was no twisting involved. Watch my lips: I DID NOT purple nurple that woman.

Kuj (stepping out of the crowd of journalists trying to get a sound bite): I beg to differ. The nurple had to be ICED. TOUCHING a nurple does not result in nurple icing!

N.N. (in stunned dismay): Kuj!

Kuj: Nurple Nazi.

N.N. I...I...I...

Kuj: Yes, you, you, you.... Selfish bastard. You purpled my nurple! (lunging and twisting the N.N.)

NY Times front page headline: "You Purpled My Nurple!" Witness Pulls Twisty on Turgid Statesman. Nurple Nazi Confession Ensues.

Unknown said...

:-D. So, I'm not the only one who thinks he looks like a Nazi...?

katina said...

I think I'm getting to the point where it may be time to hire a lawn service. And a cleaning service.

Cheryl Houston said...

Lawn service- check.
Pool service- check.
Cleaning service- damn!

As I was reading your comment exchanges, I asked myself, "What language is that? What the hell is a nurple?" Thank God for Google. The Purple Nurple... also known as the nipple cripple or the ruby booby or the titty twist. (This just took an ugly turn.)What kind of pervs were you hanging out with in your driveway, KUJ! Did you give that creep a knuckle sandwich or even better- rack him?!!? Why were you dating Hitler?

Trish said...

Cheryl,

AMEN! I've been asking KUJ that for YEARS! Denise Richards envy, perhaps? (Love you, Kuj!)

Perhaps love really DOES blind us? I know it's blinded me in the past....

Ooooh..."love is blind" --potential blog post material?

Unknown said...

LOL. Indeed, thank GOODNESS for google.

He wasn't so much Hitler...more like Nazi middle-management. And anyway, he dumped me before I suffered too much damage. Backstory -> Trish or I googled him recently and his current photograph is fairly stern, thus perpetuating the "Sieg Heil" reference. I, however, have grown into a glamorous, STUNNING white Halle Berry. :-D

Loving the Ruby Booby.

Unknown said...

Ha. We posted a comment at the same moment. We are freaks.

Trish said...

OR we are mentally linked!

Wonder Twin powers--activate!

Unknown said...

Form of...a boat drink.

Trish said...

You're going to type, "just mental," aren't you?

Trish said...

Okay, I totally didn't call that one....

If a boat drink is something with a wedge of pineapple, then I'll be the snazzy paper umbrella!

Cheryl Houston said...

It's official. Y'all are freaks!

Cheryl Houston said...

But I mean it in the nicest way possible!

Hey have you ever noticed the little wheel chair symbol by the word verification? Huh?

Just stamp STOOPID on my forehead today! First Purple Nurples and now why the hell do you need a wheel chair symbol there?