Monday, February 23, 2009

Of Mice and Men...and Metaphors

I heard something encouraging while working out in our school’s weight room. I was sharing the weights with the wrestling team, and was fairly unnoticed due to the superfluity of weight lifting apparatus in the crowded facility. (I tend to hide my novice weight-lifting self behind the leg extension machine. For obvious reasons.)

Wrestler Number One glances at Wrestler Number Two, poses in the mirror, and scoffs, “Dude, check out my big, hard piece of steel!”

“What are you talking about?” queries Wrestler Number Two.

“Dude. I was making a metaphor. Forget it,” sighs Wrestler Number One before going back to bicep curls.

While there are many, many jokes we could make about Wrestler Number One’s “big, hard piece of steel,” I think it is notable that he used the correct literary terminology when opening himself up to mockery.

Score one for the English Department!

(As Kuj wrote in a previous post, I am patting myself on the back and fist-punching the air ala’ Anthony Michael Hall in The Breakfast Club. Take THAT No Child Left Behind!)

2 comments:

Sue G said...

And about how many No Child Left Behind students to you think we have at this award-winning-recognized-for-excellence-upper-middle-class school?

I think the more important question to be asked here is this: Yeah, but could he spell it?

Anonymous said...

Any John Huges reference makes for a good day! Thanks, Trish, oh, ya, and enjoy the raw sweet potatoe slices and red peppers.

Ew.