Friday, February 20, 2009

Catholic+Withdrawl= LENT

I am doing something that only the insane and the Lenten Catholics do: giving up soft drinks.

Here’s how the genesis of this idea came about. One of my coworkers (a stunningly gorgeous miniature version of a Greek goddess) has been “getting healthy.” I believe I have mentioned this bitty-Barbie in the past. This is the same uber-healthy blond who has me eating lots of vegetables—but I digress. This gorgeous bombshell has been making all of these healthy changes in her life and, yes, she is glowing.

(I doubled checked, no pregnancy is involved. This is a shame because if pregnancy was responsible for her dynamic change I would want no part of that animal and simply continue doing what I am doing, which is lolling about in general unhealthiness, a place in which I am familiar. Instead, I am left with a decision to either lumber along in her glowing direction or hang back here in dull skin-ville. I can’t allow my skin to grow more lackluster, so you know which choice I have to make.)

Thus, I have given up soft drinks in lieu of water and begun my own healthy regime.

Again.

True, I tried this back in the fall and fell back into my strict Dove Chocolate and McDonald’s diet fairly quickly. This time, however, I have made my intentions public. Now I have lots of people asking me about my progress, which should help keep me motivated.

Of course, “should” was the operative word in the last sentence. I’ll likely need something more concrete to keep me motivated. Shoes, maybe? Clothing? A massage? Hmmm…my wonderful, kind, gorgeous, generous husband gave me a gift card for a hot stone massage for Christmas. While my first thought was that hot stones ostensibly indicate some sort of medieval branding ritual Queen Mary used on her non-Catholic countrymen in the late 1500’s, my friends assure me that a hot stone massage is a very pleasant experience. This may be just the time to try this out....

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Mmm, hot stones on the feet = BUENO pedicure.

Trish said...

SOMETHING WE SHOULD TRY IN FLORIDA??

Amy said...

I gave it up Feb 15! We can do this together. Oh, how I miss my Dr. Pepper.

Unknown said...

We could. Hey! We could leave little dried up frogs in the sun and use those instead!

I can't wait to get the boys around the flora and fauna at Mom's...

Anonymous said...

Trish - I continue to believe that you are out of your mind. I can't even give up soft drinks when I am pregnant and you are SUPPOSE to. Let alone just because I want to get healthy. I LOVE my Dt. Pepsi. Love it.

Chris 2 said...

Trish,
Rewards during your journey are a good thing! So as you feel better on the inside so shall you feel better on the outside with a massage or pedicure or new shoes or whatever. Go for it!