Saturday, January 17, 2009

On Dating....

My husband and I have started doing something new lately: dating other people.

Come back in off the ledge, folks; we don’t have one of those kinds of marriages. What I mean is that we’re dating other couples. Hang on, that doesn’t sound quite right, either. Let me be blunt: we are looking for other couples to hang out with.

Within the past two years or so, one of our favorite couples moved over ninety minutes away and another divorced. (You know who you are.) While the argument might be made that the only commonality among these situations is us (Scott and me), I don’t think we are the ones who drove these people away. I mean, that would have necessitated a lot of energy and reallocation of finances if that were true, just to be rid of us. Besides, we all still hang out together, albeit less often.

Initially, our loss of couple contact wasn’t so bad because we were dealing with some ill family members, a difficult pregnancy, and the ensuing year of solitude parents endure during a child’s infancy. Now, however, we have pulled through our “underground years,” as I like to call them, and have emerged to find ourselves alone on the beach of couple friendship.

Sure, we each have friends of our own--there are people I hang out with and people Scott hangs out with—but we miss that couple camaraderie we used to have: the impromptu barbeques in the backyard, the last-minute Saturday dinners while watching a newly released rental movie, the uproarious board games where we mixed competition with wine and chocolate. So, we’ve been looking for a couple that meets both of our friendship needs at the same time. And it has been harder than I thought.

Couple dating is much, much harder than regular dating, I have found. The more people involved, the more complex the relationship, and the more potential for trouble.

Example 1: There was one couple introduced to us through our recently divorced friends. Let’s call this couple John and Sally. John and Sally seemed very nice…until they dropped the bomb on us part way through dessert: they were obsessed with Cabbage Patch Kids. Both of them. Obsessed. Once they started talking about the dolls, they couldn’t stop. It was like a dam broke, and Xavier Roberts’ brain spilled out. Their last vacation had been to a place that makes the dolls. Apparently, this place looks like a hospital, and an employee in a white lab coat brings you your doll wrapped in a blanket, like a newborn. John built special shelves in their bedroom to house some of their collection, which was way in excess of 200. Sally spent a great deal of time shopping for baby clothes to fit their dolls and lamented that the six-month-sized outfits that usually fit often look too childish on the Cabbage Kids, which she felt had the personality of three year olds.

Dude, they are dolls. They don’t have personalities. Strike one.


Example 2: There was another couple with actual real children, which we took to be an improvement. This friendship seemed promising, so we went on a mini-vacation with them. Our kids liked each other. We liked each other’s kids. The husband was really, really nice. The wife? Issues. Lots of issues. She would go on and on about her issues. And she was right about them. She told me how she has a tendency to be very controlling. She was. She told me how she has a tendency to be judgmental. She was. She told me she was OCD. She was. She told me she was easily offended. She was. She told me she had a phobia about driving to new places. She did. She told me she was clingy. She was. She told me that her parents were very messed up. They were. It was like she wanted me to take her on as a project and fix her, and there was no way that was going to happen. Even if I had the wherewithal to help her, her identity was completely consumed with her emotional problems. She didn’t want help; she wanted attention. And there wasn’t enough attention in the world to make her happy.

Strike two.


Luckily, we’ve had some good experiences, too. We’ve hung out with a few couples who were absolute pleasures to be around. And we hope those relationships continue and grow. (God, I hope they haven’t put Scott and me into their own “weird, doll-loving, emotionally-fragile” categories! I would probably be “shoe/interior design girl,” and Scott would be “technology-freak boy.”) But being put in this position has made us realize that dating, and friendship, can be hard. When you are looking for it, it is no where to be found.

Couple-match.com, anyone? Perhaps e-couple-harmony.com?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Trish,
my son has discovered your blog and showed it to me,I'm glad he did.
Your children are cute,hope they are doing fine.Leo still talks about Josh.
Sorry, you feel that way about me.
Happy New Year,
Marion

PS.
I expected more from a teacher than
that.Your blog is not nice or funny.

Anonymous said...

Trish,
You are looking to REPLACE us??????!!!! We aren't replacing you....but perhaps we should start looking! And if I recall correctly, you guys MOVED farther north too! So it is not entirely our fault that you guys are 90 minutes away.
So we gotta talk - 28th? I want you in.
Scott and I are going on a 10 yr. anniversary trip - we need to discuss it. I will give you a cliff hanger. BUTLER. Yes, I will have a butler. Must tell you all about it.
Oh, and you have to get on Facebook.

Trish said...

Marion,

1. My blog is not meant to be nice OR funny. I don't write it to make OTHERS happy. I write it to make ME happy. It is meant to be a reflection of what this human being goes through on a daily basis. Sure, sometimes what I write may be nice for others to read. Sometimes what I write may even be funny to others. But the majority of the time it will fall somewhere in between because I am a human being, and human beings have a wide variety of emotional levels.

2. Further, if you expected more from a teacher, then you will be constantly disappointed because teachers are people, too, and we have the entire range of emotions other people have-- including frustration with people who are perpetually unhappy no matter how much you try to cheer them up.

3. Last, it goes without saying that my blog is not a reflection of my professional life; it is a reflection of my personal life. So, being a teacher has nothing to do with this.

Now, let's get specific. We haven't seen each other for a year, and we only actually knew each other for about 3 months. Since that time, I've been on mini-vacations with others, so I could pretend that the description in the post wasn't you. (In fact, Scott was under the impression that section of the post actually was about someone else.) But you pegged it just right. I was referring to you in my post. And you immediately recognized yourself, so my description has to be fairly accurate. You WERE constantly telling me that you were controlling, judgmental, overly critical, easily offended, phobic, etc. And I should have listened to you. However, I thought you were exaggerating or being self-deprecating. You weren't. You really are all of those things and, worse, YOU KNOW IT ENOUGH TO VERBALIZE IT. Now, I can handle SOME of those things in people I spend my free time with, but not ALL of them at the SAME TIME. Whenever I would try to turn the conversation around, it always came back to something negative pertaining to you. I mean, you even had problems with people who wasted energy by leaving their lights on while sitting at stop lights or ran their air conditioners in their cars when the temperature was below 85 degrees. And there was something you found to dislike in every single friend you have ever had. It was too much--like you were constantly sucking my energy away from me. I could see the writing on the wall: Before long, I would be one of those people you didn’t like because I left my lights on and ran my air conditioner or one of those former friends you disliked so much.

Bottom line: Everything is not always offensive or terrible. If you want to be offended, you will be. If you want to be unhappy, you will be. Personally, I choose not to be. You can choose that, if you want. You can also choose to not read my blog. Maybe you could start your own. If you want to write about how much I offend you in it, go for it. More power to you.


Lauren,

I'm in.

Unknown said...

Wow, guess we're all witness to at least one point: "She told me she was easily offended."

She was.

Write more, Trish. You are just not posting enough. I have only my own blog to amuse me when you don't write and I tend to run on.

Anonymous said...

Dude,
what happened to your colors? They are all gray now. I liked the bright colors.

Cheryl Houston said...

I hated couples dating when I was married. I always hated one or the other of the other couple. AND, I know that the wife always hated my now ex-husband. We didn't get invited back on many couple dates.

I feel your pain.

Word verification: crien- hmm... quite fitting.

Anonymous said...

Trish,

It looks as though everyone, including me, is on your side of this "argument."

See put away your Catholic Guilt.

mv

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Really, Trish. In my blog, I mocked the posted ramblings of some 20 year old who hit the pavement too hard with her head. Pass all that guilt on me. I'm Lutheran; when life throws us lemons...we make jello molds. (BARF)

And then, sometimes we call our best friends before 10 pm, drunk, rambling, the pity party in full swing. Not me. I'm just sayin'.

Amy said...

Ooooo blog controversy! As I always say, I only blog things I would say to someone's face. I think you are of the same mold in that.

Anyway, if we ever move to the burbs (not likely, but maybe) then we'll totally hang out with you two and be BFFs squared! Although we do have this small obsession with Beanie Babies...

Anonymous said...

Hey Trish,
Kuj-cousin here! I'm so happy I decided to catch up on your blog today. I've not been cyber stalking you for a long time now but the Kuj post about your flu prompted me to check in for some levity! Let me just tell you, respect meter = HIGH! I so wanted to ask you if the negative attention monger was named Deborah because I HAD a friend EXACTLY like her and one of my other fun friends once called her “an energy vampire”. Feel free to use this in the future if necessary. She’s over 40 and has been through so many friends, yet still doesn’t understand the fundamental basis of life: “it is what you make it”. I wanted to tell you that your blog is funny, which is why I willingly choose to take some of my precious spare time to read it, even though we aren’t even friends. Mad props to you for being honest and not being bullied by someone else’s shortcomings on your very own “personal” blog!
Heather xo