Saturday, April 5, 2008

Name Your Neuroses

[UPDATE: The Six Degrees of Un-Separation Project welcomes TEXAS, CALIFORNIA, WISCONSIN, ILLINOIS, IOWA, MISSOURI, CONNECTICUT, NORTH (or maybe SOUTH) CAROLINA, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, OREGON, NEW MEXICO, ARIZONA, ALASKA, INDIANA, GEORGIA, CANADA, and AUSTRALIA! You GO, Universe! I believe in you!]

My mother’s neurotic tendency to worry is, apparently, genetic. The same DNA recipe that makes my mother compulsively worry about the potential dangers lurking in my three year old’s bowel movement schedule (Would you believe she frequently calls me from work for a “poop report”? She does.) has been passed down to me.

Turns out, I’m not alone. While waiting at the ASHA Salon for my very first ever highlighting appointment, I read an article in More, a magazine catering to “sophisticated women forty and better.” (I am six years away from 40, but one of my perfectionist/ neurotic tendencies is to over-prepare. Thus, I started preparing for forty when I was thirty. I guess I want to be sure that I will do forty “right” when I get there. At this rate, I’ll be buying my funeral plot and arranging the music at my own funeral by the time I’m 36….) The author explained that she lets her mail pile up on the dining room table. This isn’t because, like me, she simply is too busy racing after her children and answering “poop report” phone calls from her neurotic mother; it is because she is afraid to open the mail. Apparently, years before she and her husband had some financial trouble. Like most people, some unexpected life changes occurred (birth of another child, laid off, moving to a new location). In the midst of all of this, a few bills went unpaid. Some overzealous and downright nasty creditors harassed them, even going so far as to call their new neighbors and tell THEM about their unpaid bills—which is ILLEGAL, by the way. As her financial situation improved, all of the bills were eventually paid. However, the scar this situation left on the author was an overwhelming fear of opening mail-- because it MAY contain a letter announcing a late payment. She had become mail phobic as a result of her financial worries.


I’d started reading the article because I also have a dining room table piled with mail, and I thought this piece may have some tips for organizing the overwhelming mess threatening to take over the entire room. However, even after I realized this piece would not provide organization tips, I couldn’t stop reading. Hey—I’ve had unexpected financial challenges in my life, and I know how frightening they can be. There’ve been plenty of times when I’ve been pressed up against the window of a chic shoe store, drooling on the glass, itching to feel that fourinchheeledsatinstrappynumber firmly secured to my peds but unable to afford them because I’m approaching a zero balance in my checking account and more important things, like food, need to be procured. But I didn’t write an article about it. For some reason, I thought we were supposed to keep issues like that hidden, like financial skeletons in our closets, collecting dust. I respected this woman’s bravery in publishing an article that laid everything out in such a raw, unfettered way. I also respected her naming her phobia.

This may sound a little weird, but I’ve kind of gotten the idea that most phobias are a result of unnamed fears. If we have the vocabulary to NAME the boogie man we are facing, most of its power is eliminated right there. The author of the article named her mail crisis as her "personal financial phobia.” When the mail started piling up, she said, “Oh-oh. There’s my financial phobia, again. I will make myself a cup of tea and get myself some of my favorite cookies and sit down with the mail in a bright, sunny location. I’ll sort the envelopes into piles of most to least scary. Then, I’ll tackle the ones that are least frightening first—build up some confidence. Eventually, I’ll move to the slightly more scary envelopes, and so on, and so on.”

I realized while reading the article that I have a phobia about financial planning. I am afraid that if I look closely at my financial future, I will find that it is dismal or that the only way I will be able to secure a respectable financial future for our family is if I give up my shoe fetish (gulp!) or road to gorgeousness adventure (double gulp!!). In my phobic state, I envision myself just barely able to retire, but forced to wear ugly shoes over my un-pedicured feet and with dull looking, wrinkled skin because I am unable to afford a good exfoliant and moisturizer. Reading this article made me name the phobia: “Ooops! There I go being financially phobic again.” Now, I am going to make an appointment with a financial planner, humorously explain my extreme ignorance where finances are concerned and the phobia that has resulted, and ask for some help. Sure, it will be a learning process, but I don’t think it will be all that difficult. Asking for help isn’t all that hard. Right?

Now, if I could only get my mom to name HER phobia. Gastro-intestinal blockage phobia, perhaps? Then, I could force her to sit down with a gastro-intestinal doctor and get her worries out in the open. I bet she’ll feel a lot better when she realizes my son will not explode on impact if he hasn’t pooped in the past 24 hours.

Care to admit what you are afraid of? If you name it, it may just go away!


11 comments:

Sue G said...

I used to be afraid of so many things. When I was younger, I was afraid I would die a virgin, never having sex. After I had sex, I was afraid I would never have GOOD sex. Most of my life, I was afraid of death, the great unknown. I never understood suicidal people because no matter how bad their lives were, at least they knew what they had.

But, there is very little that scares me in my life now. Cancer has been a formidable teacher. One of the most important things it has taught me is that faith is necessary to conquer our fears at every level, and faith and fear cannot coexist equally. One must take precedence. So, it's a choice...live whatever time we have on this earth with fears, or live in the face of fear with a deep and profound faith.

I choose faith. Every day, it is a choice that must be renewed. And renewing my faith, renews my mind. Renewing my mind renews my spirit. And so on and so on and so on.

But, you know, if I really dwell on it...I WOULD like a waist.

Sigh.

Unknown said...

LOL! And here I was afraid of deflating the serious conversation balloon with "I'm afraid of stinky farts." :D

No, my life does not revolve around farts and the fear of. If I really gave it some thought, I only have a few (I think...cuz I'm not giving it some thought), but I can usually push them to the back of my mind...they don't cripple me. Or make me fart. ...sorry about that.

Sue G said...

Kuj, you must be a mother of sons. Only mothers of sons talk about flatulence so much! I, on the other hand, only gave birth to daughters.

They don't fart...they fluffy.

Cheryl Houston said...

My biggest fear has always been of failing and more recently I fear the death of child... it'll be funny farm city for me if that ever happens.

Of course, there's always the fear that I won't ever have GOOD sex again and the cellulite that is piling up on my ass. Too bad that stuff doesn't get farted or pooped out!

Anonymous said...

Trish, aren't you glad you asked?
My only fear of stinky farts is that I fear for my own to be stinky. Around another person.

Diary entry of my first grade son:
blah blah blah, blah blah blah.
ps I like farts!

I don't remember a word of the entry. But I rolled when I saw the ps.
He just loves the word fart. He exclaims it - FARTSA!! And - Farts are the best! (like a sporting event chant.)

But I find it funny, too. Yes, mom of 3 boys and 1 girl.

Trish said...

Sex: After the birth of our 7 month old, the level of exhaustion for Scott and I rose dramatically. Sex has become like the sighting of land while floating out in the middle of the ocean-- I know it's out there somewhere, and some people are enjoying a lot of it, but I don't see it anywhere on the horizon from where I'm floating.... I'm sure that will change, right? (I picture parents of children older than mine laughing hysterically right now and giggling something along the lines of, "Dream ON, Trish. Dream on!")

Cheryl, I know exactly what you mean....

Everyone else, I fluffied right this moment! Tee Hee! Oh, and am I the only one who likes to trap her husband with her fluffies? When he hears me order extra grilled onions on my burger, he shudders and pouts.... Wait. Maybe that explains the lack of land on the horizon?? (slapping forehead with palm)

Cheryl Houston said...

Trish- at least you have a partner! I know I could go out and find any ol' guy and do the deed but I have found being emotionally tied to a person makes it so much better.

What I don't get is the conversations I hear all the time about sexed starved husbands and the wives that roll their eyes with their whatever attitudes. Am I the only woman out here that enjoys the sexual experience? Am I the only one that doesn't view it as a chore?

Trish, you are the only woman that I have ever heard of that traps her husband with her fluffies! I'm pretty sure that is a mood killer! LOL!!!! Your body is still adjusting to having a baby. I think it takes a good 12 to 24 months for you to get all the baby hormones out of your body (not to mention the exhaustion created by taking care of babies) and get back to normal. :)

Unknown said...

1) I'm so sorry. To all of you..about the flatu-riffic conversation I started. I'm really not obsessed with the gas..it's just that the sound makes me laugh. I'm weak.

2) Cheryl, it's been said that sex is like air; it's only an issue if you're not getting any. My corollary: Grow gills. Sure, lack of companionship may make you cry at those ridiculous diamond commercials on occasion (but I blame PMS), but overall, sometimes being minus another makes you a more observant, contemplative person who is blessed with the opportunity to see yourself for who you are and learn more about you. Sure I've spoiled myself all to hell...I could hop in the car right now and go skydiving without permission or making announcements (except that it's dark now), but I like me a whole lot more now than when I was with my last dude and if nothing else, it's taught me to relax, be myself, not make demands on myself when I meet a new male...particularly one who has piqued my interest...who is just an acquaintance at this point. DON'T GRILL ME, TRISH.

Not having a companion is like quitting smoking...you end up substituting one habit or obsession for another. Like farts. ...damnit. Or, reading, motorcycling, mocking your best friend on her own blog. :) Are ya smokin' what I'm growin'?

Also, I just sneezed and guess what else happened?

[aside]Ever notice a fart and a sneeze are just milliseconds apart? I always wonder if they ever hit at the exact same time if you'd implode?[/aside]
Damnit. Sorry. :P

Cheryl Houston said...

Thanks for the kind words of support, kuj. They are always welcome. And it's an issue! I'm not getting any! (TMI?) The thing is I think I've grown to like being by myself more than I like being with other people. I get to pick the restaurant, the movie, when I'm done shopping in one store I can just move on and if I just want to sit in the coffee shop and read or people watch I don't have to worry about the other person being entertained- man or woman. I don't care if people think I'm pathetic if I go to dinner or a movie by myself. I refuse to let the fact that I am manless and though I'm not completely friendless I don't have a gaggle of girlfriends to pick from - what was I saying - oh, I refuse to let that stop me from going and doing the things I want to do. But, there are times that I just wish I had that one special man in my life. Like when I'm around a group that is all couples. I miss that companionship and frankly- the sex. But you're right. This is the time for me to stand on my own and like me for who I am. I just hope I don't become used to being alone that I'm not open to being with someone else. Does that make sense?

Now, since Trish can't do it - who has piqued your interest? Where did you meet him? Have you gone out? Where'd you go? What's his name? Is he cute? Is he funny? What's he do for a living? :D

Unknown said...

Personal experience (of a friend!): Eventually, not getting any gets easier to...not..get. Uh. Also, it makes total sense, that whole spoiling yourself thing. My dear mother thinks I won't let anyone else in ever again if I have it too good. ...now THAT last sentence was thought-provoking...maybe I'm too late. :)

DON'T GRILL ME CHERYL. It's too early to tell. I figure I'm all right so far if I'm not all crushy and giggly. That way lies madness and sweaty palms early on.

I REALLY hope crushy and giggly is not tacky for a 30-something. Because I miss that and would like to get back to that someday. But I'm trying something new...restraint.

Remember that episode of Friends? I think it was Friends...two of the characters made a promise that if they didn't find that special someone by the time they were 40, they'd marry each other?

Well, I have a backup. He's gay. That should end well. :D

Karla, I'm still laughing out loud at "FARTSA!"

Cheryl Houston said...

I think more than being selfish, I'm afraid of being broken hearted again.

I don't think you ever outgrow crushy and giggly. It just looks different when you get older but it still feels the same. :)

Oh- and even if you hit 40, don't follow through with the back up. Just my opinion.